Friday, April 19, 2013

Backstage Behavior


Our magic is strongest when we are able to perform in a theatre. The stage is where we love to be more than anywhere else. But just like with any other theatre show it definitely doesn’t run smoothly on stage if it’s not running smoothly backstage.
Smoothly: Never the term I would use to describe backstage to be honest.
We move from venue to venue with generally just Brandon and I with the show and knowing the show, so we constantly have to teach new people how to help out and what to do and when to do it.
Now with having said this, we have had some of the most amazing people who we literally only told them something once and they had it perfectly. Other people… well not so much.
I’m not exactly proud of how I’ve had to act backstage on a few occasions. But luckily it hasn’t been a reoccurring thing. Most people have it together.
I’ve shoved some people into walls, fussed at them... And I have felt soooo bad about it and apologized a lot afterwards. But when it’s show time, it’s show time. I am in the show mode. Nothing can get in the way of me when I am literally running backstage. As soon as I walk off the stage, clothes get stripped off, new costume on, and it’s extreme speed mode especially if I know the stage hand needs a little help.
Now when I do have amazing people backstage, I actually get down time, I can relax and goof off with the guys. I’ve had so much fun with all the people I’ve gotten to work with. Theatre people are just plain awesome.
Onstage, I step out with a smile and perform my heart out. Backstage, I’m packing material we have already done and I’m pushing the next pieces closer to the wings to get ready to go on.
It’s crazy fast and usually insane, but the thrill keeps me going.
Thank you to anyone who has ever helped us backstage or ran tech for us. Without you guys we couldn’t have a show!

No comments:

Post a Comment