Monday, August 27, 2018

Assistant Appreciation

A hard thing I have to deal with in magic is not always being or feeling appreciated. It's a hard stereotype to always fight that only the guy can be the magician but it's the world we live in.

It gets me down hard somedays when even friends only want to address it as Brandon's show. I do a lot to try to prove we're equals. The assistant does so much in a show that people never even know about and granted I get it, it's because a lot of it is while we are literally in a box or backstage but what we do is important.

Photo by Katie Shuler

I had a journalist reach out to me recently and conduct an interview about how important magic assistants are and you guys my heart soared! The fact that a complete stranger who's never seen our show or anything was just genuinely interest in what goes into this job and how it does matter made me so happy. I hope I did us justice. It's hard to pour your heart out about something you're so passionate about into just a 30 minute phone call.

And to come to find out, he found me because of this blog which is super cool! I'm glad it seems to be making it out there on the internet as something about magic assistants!


I've been in this job for 8 years now and honestly it's pretty rare to get such cool opportunities like that for just the assistant. We've done tv spots, articles, and podcasts as performers together but other than this interview and my magic club lecture that's been about it. But hey if anyone ever wants to interview me for another podcast but just about assistants (GreenWolf and Bella I'm looking at you 😉) I'd totally be down for it!

Another happy assistant thing as of recent was this part of a review we received...
And then there’s Hannah who is not only beautiful, but participates in the show and does her own magic and is more than just a pretty face. Thank you for being such a good role model for my daughter and showing her that girls can do anything, even magic! Love seeing a woman take the lead in something that is usually considered a boys club. Way to go Hannah! Looking forward to seeing even more from you in the future.
This review right here made me cry. She left a long super positive review about how much of an impact we made on her and her family and she has no clue how much she impacted mine. I'm used to a lot of the reviews just talking about Brandon and sometimes having them be about the both of us but to read this was so refreshing. I mattered to someone. My role onstage does matter.

Since starting this post I actually was reached out to and interviewed for The Magic Assistant articles. I was super excited to be asked for this one because I used to print out all the articles and study them in my assistant binder and now to be included is just amazing!

I've been adding to this book for almost my whole magic career, it contains all my secrets!

I love getting to be apart of this community and though sometimes it feels like others try to knock us down, the assistants are always so strong and supportive of each other and I've made some friends that I hope will last a lifetime because of it!



2 comments:

  1. Hannah, you are amazing, Brandon is too but while he is dancing around that box you are doing some pretty amazing things inside that box or behind that curtain. It amazes me every time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't know why I'm just seeing this! You are too sweet, thank you so much!

      Delete