Friday, September 25, 2015

Escape From Reality

Two weeks ago Brandon and I went on a MUCH needed vacation. We haven't had one in close to 2 years and that was way too long. We chose one of our favorite places to visit, Pigeon Forge. It's essentially Myrtle Beach in the mountains with a lot more shows and country music. Also a few magic shows.
We chose there because our biggest inspirations in magic live there. Brandon is obsessed with looks up to Terry Evanswood more than any other magician. It was Terry's show that made Brandon want to try to bring magic to Myrtle Beach.
The first show we got to see was Darren Romeo's at The Smokey Mountain Opry. I always say if I learn one new thing from a show it was worth watching. Well I definitely did. Those assistants had their nude character shoes bedazzled and they looked awesome! So we are going to bedazzle my black shoes with some black rhinestones probably this next week. I can't wait until they're done!
We were lucky enough to get to attend Terry's show twice. He performs at the Wonderworks and has the longest running show in PF. The first show we just watched, the second time we sat towards the back so we could take notes and trust me I took LOTS. Not of Terry but his assistant Natasha.
For years people have always asked me what assistant do you look up to the most? And then they will proceed to name off a few of the famous like Joanie, Jinger, and Pam. While I do look up to the greats, I always give the same name and it's Natasha. People usually don't know the name off the top of their head but once I start explaining, they completely understand. Terry and Natasha worked together for quite a long time and their chemistry is seriously untouchable. Brandon and I are a couple and ours isn't that great on stage yet.
I took some notes on costumes, choreography, and facial expressions but my biggest note simply wrote "Holy crap Natasha's hands!" You see for magic assistants, the hands are everything. They direct the eyes. They are something I definitely want to work more on. Deanna Shimada did it best in my opinion thus far but Natasha has got it nailed down. The way her fingers are pointed and the fluidity of her moments are definitely something I can take notes from.
I'm very sad to say that we saw 2 of her last shows as Terry's assistant. She is moving across country with her new baby and starting a new chapter of her life. I know I'm not the only one who will greatly miss her but I know we will keep in touch and cross paths again in the future.
I asked Terry how he felt about losing his leading lady after so many years and he simply said this, "The only good thing about Natasha leaving is that I no longer have to worry about when she's going to leave."
I want to make that much of an impact.
Our trip seriously was an escape from reality. We got to be entertained as opposed to entertaining which is always a nice change and we just got to have some time for us. Now we are re-energized and ready to get back to work. The website is about to be completely redone so we are super excited about that! Also hoping to maybe to get a logo designed for here and revamping maybe? Be on the lookout for some new stuff here soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment